Friday, December 4, 2009

AGUTAYA's BEST ASSET

IN MEMORY OF MY BELOVED MAYOR

Dr. Romelei Camiling – Alfonso

(written on the boat, spoken during his necrological service in Puerto Princesa)

I pray that his short term as mayor opened the minds of others to a new way of governance. Mayor is far from being perfect, but I have seen his humility, commitment, and deep respect for people. He modeled the servant leadership that our Lord Jesus preached.

I am not from Agutaya. I was assigned in there as proof of Mayor’s many efforts to improve the lives of the people in the far-flung municipality.

When I met Mayor Zim, a lot of my fears subsided. He was so simple, so down-to-earth. His trademark t-shirt and tsinelas look make him very approachable even for the simple people of Agutaya.

Upon my arrival in Agutaya, my mom was diagnosed with cancer. It was very easy for Mayor to allow me to go home to be with her, kahit isang lingo pa lang ako sa isla. Whenever we have patients in need of conduction, he would personally see to it that the patient is helped. Regardless of their political affiliation.

We talk about his plans for health. His plans were grand. Not just for health, but the upliftment of the Agutaynen as a whole. 24-hour electricity, a seaweeds processing plant, an airport, a radiant hospital. Mayor thinks far ahead. His plans are grand and long term. Hence, cannot be implemented at an instant.

DOH does not often go down to the municipalities. Agutaya is a special case – it may take a 16-hour big boat and a 4-hr small boat ride to get there. But because of his good relationships, they went down to Agutaya to see our situation. He was even able to take them to Amanpulo for a sidetrip. When they found out that he died, they all mourned for him. “Siya ay mayor na may malasakit sa tao, paano na ang mga pangarap natin sa Agutaya?”.

That is exactly how I felt when I found out he died. Whenever we have endeavors in our office, we always felt that nothing would get in the way because our mayor would always support us. As the municipal doctor, young and small as I am, I felt Mayor trusted me so much – when confronted with health matters, he would get my opinion. He added so much to the health budget and he prioritized our projects.

Mayor Zim is Agutaya’s best asset. I have personally seen him silently and diligently work on his project proposals. Whenever there are conflicts, he never confronted anyone. He was never out for vengeance, but would leave everything to the God who sees.. Some people might not acknowledge the things he has done for Agutaya. Too bad, he was not able to bring his projects into completion. He knew that would have put his detractors into silence forever. Well, the important thing is, God sees and knows his heart – and in the end, we will all answer to his perfect judgement.

Agutaya mourns for the death of its mayor. I mourn forthe loss of an inspiration, a tatay and a friend. I pray that his death would inspire Agutaya to unity.
I pray that his short term as mayor opened the minds of others to a new way of governance. Mayor is far from being perfect, but I have seen his humility, commitment, and deep respect for people. He modeled the servant leadership that our Lord Jesus preached.

No comments: